Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Grandma's Okra Recipe

We are finally having some cool weather here in Texas, and I am loving it! I am so welcoming the breezy evenings with my windows open, sweater weather, and my kid's long sleeve jammies. I just love those.
But, the one thing I know I will miss about the summer weather, is my garden.
 I come from a family of gardeners. My grandpa has always had a garden. I have many childhood memories of going and helping him pick carrots, tomatoes, and trying to pick the blackberries off the bush without getting stickers in my fingers. The gardening continued with my dad and mom, who built us a garden at their house, and we have kept one every year since middle school. Now that I am on my own, with my own family, I decided it was time to plant one for us, and to start teaching Taylor & Wyatt some gardening tips.



This spring we planted tomatoes, green beans, okra, squash, zuchinni, jalapenos, and cucumbers. Even in the extreme drought of summer, we managed to harvest quite a few vegetables that were so very tasty!




 My okra plants have done the best. They love the hot weather.


Today I am going to share with you a favorite recipe from my grandma. Okra & Tomatoes. What I love about this recipe is that it is a perfect fall meal! Almost like a soup, you can enjoy it to warm you up on a cool evening.  A perfect way to use up the last of those okra crops before they freeze!

What You'll Need:
Okra
Bacon (2-3 slices)
Small Onion
1 Can Petite Diced Tomatoes
Season Salt
Pepper
Tony's Creole Seasoning

First step, pick and wash your okra!
Then, cut up okra in small pieces.

While cutting up your okra, start browning some bacon in a pan. For this size recipe I used two slices.
Once  the bacon is partially browned, add some onion and simmer.
Once the onions are softened, then you add your okra! (Your kitchen should be smelling delicious by now.) Season with salt, pepper, and Tony's to taste. I love to cook with Tony's. It adds the perfect kick to any recipe. You can add as little or as much as you like depending on how spicy you want your okra...

Lastly, add your tomatoes and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until your okra is thoroughly cooked and tender.

Serve this hot recipe up with some cornbread and you have got yourself a yummy treat for a cold day.
Enjoy! 

5 comments:

  1. Great recipe!! Looks absolutely delicious!

    I loved working the garden with my dad growing up. But, those dang blackberry bushes always got me! Ha! My husband and I started a garden earlier this spring, but we planted just a little too early. The last frost we had in March killed the baby spouts. :/ Sad day.

    Maybe next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Thanks for sharing! Newest follower from the blog hop! Come on over and help me pick out my little nugget's name!!!


    mrsvolnoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU make me smile. Thank YOU for being so amazing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! New follower from Miss Mommy ;) We're jumping back into the gardening thing too in the Spring. We had a pretty successful run of it the year before last but then we moved...I may be asking you for tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG your blog is SUPER SUPER CUTE!!! I need to figure out how to design mine :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for stopping by! :)